There are some communication
barriers that can get in the way of good parenting
& communication. Communication barriers include:
1) Labeling and belittling. Saying things like,
"What do you know? You're just a kid!" or "You're
a disappointment to me." This paves the way for total lack
2) Ordering, prescribing and lecturing. Saying
things like, "Do it because I said so" or "Stop
feeling sorry for yourself." The teen stops listening,
no one gets heard, everyone is angry and nothing gets solved.
3) Filibustering. You take the conversation ball and run
with it, silencing everyone else.
4) Taking over the problem. You make your teen's problem
yours, habitually overreact and make your teen afraid to tell
5) Mixed messages. This can be encouragement with negative
undertones. Saying "You have so much potential", may
sound like "You're nothing special right now."
Opening Up & Talking